The demand for arts administrators is strong. What was once a small niche has transformed into an industry of professionals trained to manage theatres, symphony halls, galleries, museums, community art councils, orchestras, art centers, and many other types of institutions. In fact, the nonprofit arts industry employs approximately 1.3 million individuals annually.
UK’s Arts Administration degree program is designed to teach students the concepts, technologies, and skills necessary to successfully direct an arts organization in a competitive and changing environment. The program advocates a devotion to the arts, an interest in community development and integration, a focus on contemporary and relevant arts trends, and the belief that we can create a positive change by taking skills and knowledge out of the classroom and into the world.
In order to be admitted in the B.A. in Arts Administration as a full major, students must first:
- be enrolled in the University of Kentucky;
- complete 30 credit hours of course work;
- have a minimum 2.8 cumulative gradepoint average;
- complete all premajor courses with a gradepoint average of 3.0 in premajor courses;
- submit an application; and
- participate in an interview process with the arts administration faculty.
Students meeting these requirements will be accepted as majors in the program.
Students in Arts Administration must complete the following program requirements:
Students must complete 6 credit hours outside of the arts administration discipline, but within the College of Fine Arts. This requirement is satisfied by the student’s required CFA minor. Students must complete 39 credit hours at the 300- level or above. This requirement is satisfied by the required course work in Arts Administration.
Subtotal: College Required hours: 6
UK Core Requirements
See the UK Core section of this Bulletin for the complete UK Core requirements. The courses listed below are (a) recommended by the college, or (b) required courses that also fulfill UK Core areas. Students should work closely with their advisor to complete the UK Core requirements.
NOTE: Students majoring in Arts Administration may use no more than six credit hours within the Arts Administration major requirements to fulfill UK Core requirements.
I. Intellectual Inquiry in Arts and Creativity
II. Intellectual Inquiry in the Humanities
III. Intellectual Inquiry in the Social Sciences
IV. Intellectual Inquiry in the Natural, Physical, and Mathematical Sciences
V. Composition and Communication I
VI. Composition and Communication II
VII. Quantitative Foundations
VIII. Statistical Inferential Reasoning
IX. Community, Culture and Citizenship in the USA
Graduation Composition and Communication Requirement (GCCR)
Subtotal: Premajor hours: 17
Subtotal: Major hours: 43
In addition to the Major Requirements, students must take 21 credit hours with the College of Fine Arts, outside of their Arts Administration courses. Within these 21 credit hours, students must complete a minor or double major in the College of Fine Arts. The College of Fine Arts requires that all students must complete 6 credit hours outside of their major but within the college. For Arts Administration students, this requirement is satisfied by the student’s required CFA minor.
The B.A. in Arts Administration requires a 2.8 cumulative GPA for graduation.
Twelve (12) credits of Directed Electives chosen in consultation with the student’s academic advisor from the following areas:
- AAD electives at the 300-level or above.
- AAD 500-level courses. At least 3 credit hours must be from 500-level AAD courses.
- AAD 395 - INDEPENDENT STUDY IN ARTS ADMINISTRATION in Arts Administration. May complete up to 6 credit hours of an individually designed and approved project under the guidance of a faculty member.
- . May be repeated to a maximum of 6 credit hours when identified with different subtitles.
- AAD 499 . An additional 3 credit hours (above the required 6 credit hours) of arts administration internship may be used toward directed elective credit.
- Study abroad courses may apply to directed elective credit. Consult department chair for approval.
- Individual courses (up to 6 credit hours) from any of the approved minors listed below.
Alternatively, students may select one of the following options for their directed electives:
- Students may complete the Certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurial Thinking (12 credit hours). Students may not use AAD courses as electives in the certificate.
- A student may complete the following approved minors as their directed elective credit:
- African American and Africana Studies
- American Studies
- Appalachian Studies
- Community and Leadership Development
- Economics (A&S)
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- Information Studies
- International Studies
- Journalism Studies
- Media Arts and Studies
- Professional and Technical Writing
- Writing, Rhetoric, and Digital Studies
Subtotal: Directed Electives: 12
In addition to meeting their UK Core and major requirements, students must earn 6 credits in any area(s) of their choosing.
Subtotal: Free Electives: 6